Universal data management and analysis in metric space, distance-based/metric-space indexing, content-based similarity query of multimedia/biological data, parallel computing and applications;
data mining, database, statistical methods, machine learning, bioinformatics.
- 2016 Second Level Military Science and Technology Award.
- 2014 Second Level Science and Technology Award by the Ministry of Education: Personal high performance computer systems based on Loongson CPU.
- High-Level Professional in Shenzhen (Local-Level Talent), 2019-2023
- Overseas High-Caliber Personnel in Shenzhen (Level C), 2015-2020
Research Projects (selected)
- PI: “Big data genhierarchy and its effectiveness”, National Key R&D Program of China:2018YFB1003201, 06/2018 ~ 05/2021
- Co-PI: “A parallel processing system for in-memory computing”, China 863 project: 2015AA015305, 01/2015 ~ 12/2017
- Co-PI: “Research and development of high productivity computing applicational software framework”, China 863 project: 2012AA01A309, 01/2012 ~ 12/2015
- PI: “Metric space indexing based on the pivot space model”, NSF-China: 61170076, 01/2012 ~ 12/2015
Teaching & Courses at Shenzhen University
- Special Class on High Performance Computing
- Computational thinking
- General purpose indexing for similarity queries and applications (graduate and undergraduate)
- Discrete mathematics
- Advanced Office applications
- Shenzhen University
- Professor (2017 – present)
- Associate Professor (2010 – 2016)
- Oracle USA corporation, Senior Member of Technical Staff(2007 每 2010)
- Member of the Streams/GoldenGate group, projects: (1)Automatic split/merge of Streams; (2)XStream JAVA Interface caching; (3)Data comparison
- The University of Texas at Austin(2001 – 2007)
- Ph.D. in Computer Science(2007), Master in Statistics(2006), Master in Computer Science(2003)
- Ph.D. dissertation: Distance-based indexing and its applications in bioinformatics; Supervisor: Dr. Daniel Miranker
- Team leader: Molecular Biological Information System (MoBIoS), a next generation DBMS aiming at biological applications
- University of Science and Technology of China(1992 – 2000)
- Master in Computer Application(2000, Advisor: Prof. Liusheng Huang), Bachelor in Computer Science(1997)
- Member of the National High Performance Computing Center (NHPCC) at Hefei; Team leader (student) of 2 Key Projects of the National 863 High Tech. Program, China:
- The Anti-Disaster Intelligent Information and Decision Support System of Anhui Province: Second Level National Science and Technology Development Award of China, 2001; Second Level Award of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2000
- The Intelligent Flood-Control & Anti-Pollution Scheduling System of Huaihe River
Academic Services (selected)
- Distinguished Member, China Computer Federation
- Executive Member, Task Force on Big Data, China Computer Federation
- Executive Member, Technical Committee on Database, China Computer Federation
- Executive Member, Technical Committee on Theoretical Computer Science, China Computer Federation
- Member, Technical Committee on High Performance Computing, China Computer Federation
- Chair(2016-2017), CCF YOCSEF (Young Computer Scientists & Engineers Forum, China Computer Federation) Shenzhen
- Chair, Technical Committee on Cloud Computing, Guangdong Computer Federation
- Member, Academic Committee of the Sichuan Key Laboratory of Network and Data Security
- Program Committee Vice Co-Chair, The 5th CCF BIG DATA Conference (CCF BigData 2017)
- Program Committee Co-Chair, The 33rd National Database Conference of China (NDBC2016)
- Co-Chair, Steering Committee of the 7th International Symposium on Parallel Architectures, Algorithms and Programming (PAAP 2015)
- Conference Program Committee: VLDB2019, AAAI2019, ICDE2019, ICDE2018, ……
Intellectual Property Rights(selected)
- Patent: A modeling method and system for location-based top-k key selection in sliding window, No.: ZL201710864295.0
- Patent: A priority query algorithm and system for location-based top-k key selection in sliding window, No.: ZL201710864389.8
- Patent: An indexing system for location-based top-k key selection in sliding window, No.: ZL201710864358.2
- Patent: A pivot set selection method and device, No.: ZL201610982377.0
- Patent: Pivot selection method and device in metric spaces, No.: ZL201610987363.8
- Patent: Spatial crowdsourcing task assignment method and system with partial homomorphic encryption, No.: ZL201710533442.6
- Patent: Pivot-wise data partitioning method in metric space, No.: ZL201410472953.8
- Patent: Indexing and retrieval for arbitrary field of massive URL data, No.: ZL201310554903.X
Selected Publications in Metric-space Data Management
- Guoliang Chen, Rui Mao*, Kezhong Lu, A parallel computing framework for big data. Frontiers of Computer Science, 2017, 11(4): 608-621.
- Guoliang Chen, Rui Mao, Kezhong Lu, Hao Liao, Mingyang Zhou, Gang Liu, and Lian Li. Theoretical foundations of big data computing – parallel and interactive computing. Higher Education Press, 2017.10
- Rui Mao, Peihan Zhang, Xingliang Li, Xi Liu, Minhua Lu. Pivot selection for metric-space indexing, International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics, 2016, 7 (2): 311-323.
- Guolilang Chen, Rui Mao* and Kezhong Lu. Parallel computing framework for big data. Chinese science bulletin, 2015, 60(5/6): 566-569. (Cover story)
- Rui Mao, Honglong Xu, Wenbo Wu, Jianqiang Li, Yan Li, and Minhua Lu. Overcoming the Challenge of Variety: Big Data Abstraction, the Next Evolution of Data Management for AAL Communication Systems. IEEE Communications Magazine, 2015, 53 (1), 42-47.
- Rui Mao, Sheng Liu, Honglong Xu, Dian Zhang and Daniel P. Miranker, On Data Partitioning in Tree Structure Metric-Space Indexes, in the Proceedings of The 19th International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (DASFAA2014), pages 141-155, April 21-24, 2014, Bali, Indonesia.
- Rui Mao, Willard L. Miranker and Daniel P. Miranker, Pivot Selection: Dimension Reduction for Distance-Based Indexing, Journal of Discrete Algorithms, Elsevier, Volume 13, May 2012, Pages 32-46.
- Rui Mao, Willard L. Miranker and Daniel P. Miranker, Dimension Reduction for Distance-Based Indexing, in the Proceedings of the Third International Conference on SImilarity Search and APplications (SISAP2010), pages 25-32, Istanbul, Turkey, September 18 – 19, 2010. (Best paper)
- Rui Mao, Weijia Xu, Neha Singh and Daniel P. Miranker. An Assessment of a Metric Space Database Index to Support Sequence Homology. In the Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Symposium on BioInformatics and BioEngineering (BIBE2003), pages 375-382, March 10-12, 2003, Bethesda, MD, USA. (Best paper)
- *The corresponding author